Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy
Observance of the Sabbath is not a restriction but a source of strength and protection. After God ended his work of creation on this earth, he blessed and sanctified his day of rest–the seventh day. But beyond simply resting from our labors on the Sabbath, we are to sanctify the day, to make it holy. We do this by seeking to draw closer to God, worshiping him, and serving others.
In our day, the Lord has told us that keeping the Sabbath will help protect us against the ills of a world that is degenerating spiritually.
— D&C 59:9-10
Here it says that we can go to our meetinghouses each Sabbath and partake of the sacrament, which involves regular repentance and covenant making to keep ourselves clean and “unspotted from the world.” And if we dedicate ourselves to serving God and others, we will be shielding ourselves from the evil around us.
Spencer W. Kimball gave the following suggestions for keeping the Sabbath properly:
— Spencer W. Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness, 96–97.
— Elder H. Aldridge Gillespie, “The Blessing of Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy”, Ensign, Nov. 2000, 79–80
The Sabbath day is a day to honor and worship the Lord God through church attendance, sacrament meeting, spiritually uplifting others, visiting the sick and weary, reading the scriptures and words of the Prophets, writing letters to family and friends, working family history records, singing hymns, and journal writing.
Another simple way that someone recently shared with me on keeping the Sabbath day holy is to stay in your Sunday clothes for the entire Sabbath day. There are no more questions about what is or is not proper Sunday activities. Simply put, if you can not do in your Sunday best, then it is not in the spirit of keeping the Sabbath day holy. The manner of your dress will ultimately affect the manner of your activity.
— Elder Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 658.
For further information, Elder Earl C. Tingey gave some great modern day counsel for Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy.
One Response to “Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy”
Monthly Most Popular Posts
- Over 50 Free LDS Word Search Puzzles
- If Dr. Seuss Wrote the Book of Mormon
- 1900 U.S. Census Free Online
- LDS Food Storage Shipped to Your Home
- Provo Tabernacle Fire – Unburnt Picture of Christ
- Hollywood plan backfires and Edited Movie secrets are revealed
- Constitution Hang by a Thread
- Effectively Keeping a Journal
- Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy
- Courage and Cancer April 29, 2014
- Elder Ballard to Speak at CES Devotional April 29, 2014
- Stay Watchful April 29, 2014
- Activities for Youth to Share Their Talents April 28, 2014
- The Philippines—Past, Present, and Future April 28, 2014
- Elder Christofferson Travels in the Footsteps of Ancient Apostles April 22, 2014
- Truth Revealed by Tragedy April 18, 2014